The American Prize in Wind Ensemble/Concert Band Performance, 2017-18
The American Prize in Wind Ensemble/Concert Band Performance recognizes and rewards the best performances by concert bands and wind ensembles in America, based on submitted recordings. There is no live competition.
ALSO: NEW CONTEST for the PERFORMANCE of AMERICAN MUSIC:
A new contest with expanded categories in 2017 for orchestras, choruses, bands, conductors, composers and individual artists, offered for the first time in 2016, recognizes the finest performances of American Music from any age and in practically any style or instrumentation:
To learn about the ERNST BACON MEMORIAL AWARD for the PERFORMANCE of AMERICAN MUSIC, .
HOW TO APPLY:
Every applicant must send certain required information by email.
Applicants can then complete their application either of two ways:
A. ONLINE ONLY: pay fees online, submit the downloaded application as a PDF file, along with the required emailed information (see application form), and include links to your online audition selections. (Application forms for The American Prize can be filled out on computer, saved and emailed by using Adobe Reader 11. Download it free here.)
B. BY MAIL & EMAIL: mail the completed, downloaded application form and send audition selections on disc or tape to the office, and email the required information (see application form), pay fees online, or by check, by money order or credit card.
1. Download the application form for The American Prize in Band/Wind Ensemble Performance. Select the category which best identifies the applicant.
2. MAIL the completed application form by the deadline date or EMAIL it as a PDF attachment with your required email.
3. If providing audition selections ONLINE, include the links to them in your required email (see application form.)
4. If providing audition selections BY MAIL, include two identical recordings of the ensemble in performance, with the selections clearly indicated on both the recording itself and on the recording's cover or box. Be sure it lists applicant's name.
5. Be sure to sign the form and pay the application fee. Pay ONLINE (click "FEES/GIFTS" in the menu bar, above), or send check, money order or credit card information by mail.
5. Be sure to email the required information (see application form.)
The application fee is $75 per application. Pay ONLINE (click "FEES/GIFTS" in the menu bar, above), pay by credit card, or make checks payable to HCMT/The American Prize. Application fees are nonrefundable. No incomplete applications will be accepted. When paying online, BE SURE to identify the applicant with the payment.
REQUIREMENTS for the RECORDED AUDITION:
The American Prize in Band/Wind Ensemble Performance:
You need not prepare a special tape for The American Prize. A previous recording, whether of a concert made in front of an audience or one created in a recording session without an audience, is perfectly acceptable. Neither the location nor the repertoire of any qualified individual limits eligibility, provided the general guidelines listed below have been met. Excellence within categories is the primary criteria for the selection of finalists and winners.
1. MAIL recordings of, or email ONLINE links to, not less than thirty minutes of music of your choice, selected from a recent performance or performances recorded within the last five years. Complete works or complete movements only. No excerpts.
2. Performers and works must be clearly identified on the disc itself and on the cover or video box. We accept CD, DVD or VHS recordings, or online links only. No cassette tapes. No materials will be returned PLEASE NOTE: If applying for both the ensemble prize and the conducting prize, please note that the requirements for the recording in the conducting category are different from those listed above—video is required for conductors. (See Conducting Prizes.).
3. If submitting ONLINE links, include them in your required email. Be sure to identify the links by title of the selection and provide any passwords necessary, so judges can easily access your audition. Links must remain active until results in the category are officially announced. PLEASE NOTE: The responsibility for the viability of links rests with the contestant. Please double-check that they work correctly.
4. There are no other restrictions. No materials will be returned.
SEND required email to: email@example.com
TIMELINE for this competition:
Final deadline for postmark or emailing applications: Tuesday, May 30, 2017. Applications will be acknowledged by email following that date.
In general, the entire competition process is completed after the start of the new year. Semi-finalists are announced this fall, finalists in the winter, followed by winners—after which all certificates, evaluations and prizes are mailed. Specific dates for the announcement of each stage of the competition are posted in regular updates to our blog and facebook pages. Find those links on the homepage of this website.
The American Prize competitions are administered by Hat City Music Theater, Inc. (HCMT), the 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization based in Danbury, CT.